“If you build it, they will come” may work in Hollywood but things take a bit more effort when it comes to crowdfunding. One of the most common reasons that online fundraising fails is because those seeking help think they can simply throw up a free crowdfunding campaign and random people will donate to it. In reality, fundraising takes planning, time and effort to be successful. Here are some essential things you need to do to increase the success of your Red Basket campaign:
1. Build anticipation for your project now. Research and experience have proven that fundraising campaigns that get off to a quick start are much more successful than those that don’t. Start spreading the word about your upcoming Red Basket story now, so that you have people who are ready to support you when your story goes live.
2. Think about how you will market your campaign. What avenues (social media, email, flyers, etc) will you use to spread the word about your Red Basket page? What networks (church, work, social clubs, neighbors, etc.) will you ask for support? When will you reach out to your supporters? It’s critical that you stay actively involved in promoting your Red Basket story throughout the length of your fundraising campaign.
3. Don’t do it alone. You’re busy as it is and now you’re also trying to run a successful fundraising campaign. Now is the time to recruit a group of trusted partners to help you spread the word about your Red Basket story. Try to get a diverse group of team members from a variety of different networks in order to increase your potential to reach more people. Talk to your Red Basket account manager about appointing advocates to your project.
4. Check your calendar. It is important that you actively share your Red Basket story, post project updates and thank supporters throughout your entire Red Basket story and even after it closes. Plan time in your schedule now to commit to your Red Basket story.
5. Recruit some winning teammates. Let’s face it, everyone likes to be on a winning team. Have a handful of donors who are ready to make their donations immediately when your Red Basket story is published. This will help show others that people are willing to support you and they should too. Having these initial donations along with the Good Start from Red Basket will help your fundraising get off to a quick start. (See point #1 again!)
If you follow these tips when building your Red Basket campaign, your fundraising ‘Field of Dreams’ will be lush with supporters!