The holiday season is in full swing, and many of us are focused on finding just the right gift for our loved ones. We all have that one person who seems to have everything they need, so instead of getting Dad another tool for the workshop or a pair of earrings that your fashionista sister-in-law probably already has, here are some great alternative gift ideas that are sure to put a smile on the face of whomever receives them.
- Make a donation in their name: A great way to honor someone is to donate to a cause close to the person’s heart. RedBasket.org offers various projects that allow you to choose where your donation goes, and gives 100 percent of the gifts received to the people who request them. Visit www.RedBasket.org to find and donate to the project that speaks to you. If you can’t decide on just one project, feel free to donate to the Good Start Fund. This fund allows Red Basket to contribute an in-kind donations of 50 dollars to each campaign as a “kick start.”
- Plan a trip or outing: Give a gift that allows you to look past the hustle and bustle! Schedule a fun day trip or outing to relax and unwind after the holidays have passed.
- Let them choose: Gift cards are always a good option for the pickiest ones on your list. Giving someone a gift card allows them the freedom to choose the gift they like best.
- Virtually every store or service offers a way to purchase a gift card or certificate.
- Spend time volunteering together: Serve at a soup kitchen, join a service group or club, or play with puppies at the local animal shelter. As long as you’re working together, the time will be well-spent and that’s what the holidays are all about!
- Plant a garden: Consider this the gift that keeps on giving. During the winter months, plant some seeds in pots indoors. Once they’ve grown enough, and the weather is warmer, the plants can be transferred outdoors to a personal or community garden.
Of course, there are many more ways to brighten your family and friends’ holidays outside of these ideas. From all of us at Red Basket, have a happy holiday season!
About Red Basket:
Red Basket, founded in 2012, is a web-based, non-profit 501(c)3 public charity headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska, dedicated to helping individuals raise money for personal emergencies and community improvement projects in a fee-free environment. Red Basket is fully supported by WoodmenLife which covers Red Basket’s administrative costs in their entirety so 100% of donations are directly passed through to the cause. To learn more about Red Basket, visit Redbasket.org.